Project: U Review (ft. Standby Kitchen )
June 12, 2020 by Yoona Cho
Location: This place is only a 5 minute walk from Daewoo Annex Hall. Walk along the brick trail past New Millenium Hall and you won’t be able to miss it.
- Standby Kitchen bakes fresh baguettes every single day. The lightly-buttered crust and fluffy crumb provide for a simultaneously moist and crispy sandwich.
- With over fifteen items on the menu, this place has sandwiches for every customer including vegetarians. Some of my personal favorites are the garlic shrimp avocado, pimento chicken breast, and mozzarella tomato.
- For carb-counters and vegans, Standby Kitchen also offers numerous salads and a low-sodium minestrone. Although slightly substandard compared to their heavenly sandwiches, they are a great nutritious alternative.
- If you are not a fan of fish sauce and cilantro, do not try the banh mi sandwiches. Finishing the fragrant sub may prove difficult for you.
- The fries come with a topping of melted processed “cheese” (aka fake cheese). Ask for plain fries to enjoy a relatively wholesome flavor.
- Due to its popularity, Standby Kitchen is almost always packed with students and faculty during lunchtime. Be prepared to wait long lines while awkwardly bumping into friends and professors!